Floods: Insurance

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 5th February 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Geoffrey Clifton-Brown Geoffrey Clifton-Brown Shadow Secretary of State for International Development

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what assessment has been made of the levels of insurance against flooding amongst public authorities who own public sector housing.

Photo of John Healey John Healey Minister of State (Department of Communities and Local Government) (Local Government)

We do not hold detailed information about local authority insurance provision.

Local authorities have a duty under the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2003 to ensure that they have a sound system of internal control which facilitates the effective exercise of their functions and which includes arrangements for the management of risk (regulation 4).

Guidance issued by Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy on local authority reserves and balances lists "the adequacy of the authority's insurance arrangements to cover major unforeseen risks" as one of the factors authorities should consider in deciding the level of their general reserves (LAAP Bulletin 55).

This guidance is available at:


Communities and Local Government (CLG) wrote to all local authority chief executives on 15 November 2007 to recommend that they review their decisions in respect of insurance cover for flooding to ensure they are satisfied with the arrangements and level of cover in place in their authority. CLG suggested they do so whether or not they experienced flooding this year.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.