To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families
(1) how many pupils with statements of special educational need are recorded as attending (a) maintained special schools, (b) maintained mainstream schools and (c) other educational settings broken down by category of special educational need;
(2) how many pupils in (a) maintained and (b) independent schools have a diagnosis of autism;
(3) how many pupils with autism attend (a) maintained special schools, (b) maintained mainstream schools and (c) other educational settings, broken down by category of special need;
(4) how many statements of special educational need were issued in respect of children (a) with autism and (b) recorded as deaf and having impaired hearing in each year for which figures are available;
(5) how many and what proportion of deaf and hearing-impaired pupils are recorded as having (a) special educational needs with a statement, (b) special educational needs without a statement and (c) no special educational needs.
Type of special education need is only collected for pupils with statements of SEN and at School Action Plus within maintained mainstream and special schools and non-maintained special schools. This information is not collected for pupils in independent schools or pupils at School Action.