To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what the (a) start date, (b) original planned completion date, (c) current expected completion date, (d) planned cost and (e) current estimated cost is for each information technology project being undertaken by her Department and its agencies; and if she will make a statement.
The Department for Transport is currently undertaking a number of IT projects to enable us to provide better services to our customers or improve the efficiency of our operations. Detailed information in the form requested is not held centrally and could be obtained only at disproportionate cost. Information on the key IT projects that are monitored and reported on centrally under the DfT's Investment Appraisal Framework is set out as follows.
|Department/Agency||Project name||Start date||Original planned completion date||Expected completion date||Originally planned costs (£ million)||Estimated costs (£ million)|
|DfT(1)||Shared Services Programme||April 2005||April 2009||April 2009||31||123|
|VOSA(2)||Commercial Customer Portal||January 2004||December 2005||January 2009||9.5||16.7|
|VOSA(3)||Operator Annual Test: E-Test Bookings||January 2004||December 2005||January 2009||8.4||16.8|
|VOSA(4, 5)||Mobile Compliance: providing mobile compliance devices to Enforcement Officers||March 2003||December 2004||March 2008||7.91||10.8|
|DVLA(6, 7)||Driver Licensing: Drivers Re-engineering Project (DRP) phase 2||August 2003||September 2008||December 2008||109||103.7|
|DVLA(8)||Smart tachograph project||July 2000||May 2002||June 2005||13.2||15.1|
|DVLA(9)||Vehicles System Software (VSS) Replatforming||January 2005||July 2006, but agreement made with DVO to move date to November 2006||December 2007||8.4||13|
|DVLA(9)||Driver Licence Upgrade (DLUP)||July 2004||June 2007||March 2008||21.8||16|
|DVLA(10)||Vehicle Integration Northern Ireland||August 2006||November 2008||Second half 2009||23||21.3|
|DVLA||Driver Licence Ten Year Renewals Phase 1||July 2007||May 2008||June 2008||13.3||13.3|
|DSA||Integrated Register of Driver Trainers (IRDT)||October 2003||January 2006||February 2007||1.5||3.5|
|HA||Traffic Control Centre: PPP service; providing co-ordinated real time information on traffic conditions across most strategic road network||August 2001||August 2011||August 2011||160 over 10 years||160 over 10 years|
|HA(11, 12)||Electronic Service Delivery of Abnormal Loads (ESDAL)||April 2004||August 2006 Development||June 2009 Development||8.6 Development||9.64 Development|
|July 2008 Operation||June 2011 Operation||1.21 Operation||1.21 Operation|
|(1) Latest estimate subject to satisfactory business case for remainder of the programme. |
(2) The scope of the portal project has increased since original approval to include new elements such as the adoption of sophisticated data integration and management applications.
(3) The scope of E-test bookings has increased since original approval to include a multi-channel solution.
(4 )The difference in completion date is due to an increase in project scope to include fixed penalties.
(5) Original planned costs for mobile compliance did not include staff costs however, estimated costs to complete include staff costs from April 2005.
(6) The previous parliamentary answer of 16 July 2004, Official Report, columns 1387-88W, only relates to phase 1. The cost of £37 million with a delivery date of December 2005 was achieved within approved funding. These details have been updated to include phase 2.
(7) The estimated completion date is currently subject to change pending a current re-scoping exercise.
(8 )Smart Tachograph Project—cost variation due to Tachonet implementation, increasing project scope to meet EU legislation requirements.
(9) Vehicles System Software Replatforming, Driver Licence Upgrade and slippage due to six month New System Landscape freeze with subsequent replanning activities and rescheduled release slots.
(10) Original planned completion date is subject to Business Case approval.
(11) The estimated development completion date has increased after re-evaluation of outstanding requirements and subsequent agreement of rebaselined milestone programme.
(12) The two-year fixed operational period will commence after completion of development. The change of end date for operations reflects the new programme.