Overseas Students: Finance

Innovation, Universities and Skills written question – answered on 24th January 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Hayes John Hayes Shadow Minister (14-19 Reform and Apprenticeships)

To ask the Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills further to his letter of 7 September 2007 to the Chairman of the Higher Education Funding Council for England, whether a UK resident or citizen with a qualification from an overseas institution deemed to be equivalent to or lower than a qualification which they wish to study will qualify for public funding for higher education courses in English institutions where they have not previously accessed public funding for higher education within the UK.

Photo of Bill Rammell Bill Rammell Minister of State (Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education), Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills

Subject to exceptions for particular categories of students and subjects on which HEFCE has been consulting, such citizens who wished to study for a qualification equivalent to or lower than the one already obtained from an overseas' institution would not qualify for the purposes of institutional public funding. Our clear priority is to widen participation and increase the incentives for higher education providers to attract and retain more of the millions of people without a first higher education qualification, wherever that qualification was obtained.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.