Young Offenders: Custodial Treatment

Children, Schools and Families written question – answered on 22nd January 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Laws David Laws Shadow Secretary of State (Children, Schools and Families)

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice what proportion of 16 year olds who had been in custody for more than one year was entered for GCSE examinations in each year since 2001; and what proportion of 16 year olds in custody gained five A* to Cs at GCSE in each of those years.

Photo of Beverley Hughes Beverley Hughes Minister of State (Children, Young People and Families; Minister for the North West), Department for Children, Schools and Families, Minister of State (Department for Children, Schools and Families) (Children and Youth Justice) (and Minister for the North West)

Under the Offender Learning and Skills Service (OLASS), developed across England in August 2006, the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) recently began collecting data on GCSE achievements of young people in young offender institutions. LSC data shows that young people under-18 in young offender institutions achieved the following GCSEs from 1 April 2007 to September 30 2007:

Mathematics, 18 GCSE's at grades A* to C, and 91 below grade C.

English, 29 GCSEs at grades A* to C and 56 below grade C

Other subjects, 307 GCSEs at grades A* to C and 162 below grade C

The figures cannot be broken down by length of time in custody.

The achievements of young people in custody who are still registered at learning providers in the community will be attributed to the learning provider with which they are registered, rather than the custodial establishment's LSC provider. The figures for GCSE achievements of young people in secure children's homes or secure training centres are not collected centrally. Data is not collected centrally on how many young people are entered for GCSEs.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.