Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Guyana: Rainforest

House of Lords written question – answered on 10th January 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Avebury Lord Avebury Spokesperson in the Lords (Civil Liberties), Home Affairs, Spokesperson in the Lords (Africa), Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What communications they have had with the Government of Guyana about the proposal made by President Jagdeo on 1 December that Guyana's rainforests be preserved from development in return for compensation; and whether a more general mechanism for preventing further exploitation of the world's rainforests should be proposed at the United Nations climate change conference in Bali.

Photo of Lord Rooker Lord Rooker Minister of State (Sustainable Farming, Food and Animal Welfare), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Minister of State (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Sustainable Farming, Food and Animal Welfare)

The Government have been in correspondence with President Jagdeo and a bilateral meeting was held with Guyana's Minister for Agriculture on 12 December at the UN climate change negotiations in Bali to discuss the details of the proposal. The Environment Minister, my honourable friend for Oldham East and Saddleworth, requested further information and agreed that the UK would discuss the proposal with them again after having sight of the results of the review of financing mechanisms for reducing emissions from deforestation which the Government announced in September.

Our priority is to reduce emissions from deforestation in developing countries, and in Bali we reached an agreement on a framework for providing positive incentives to achieve this.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.