Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Floods: Compensation

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 10th January 2008.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Drew David Drew Labour, Stroud

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs if he will make representations to Severn Trent plc to grant compensation to Gloucestershire residents who were without mains water for a substantial period of time following the July floods.

Photo of Phil Woolas Phil Woolas Minister of State (Environment), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Under the GSS (Guaranteed Service Standard) automatic right to compensation is not available to those Severn Trent customers that found themselves without water. This is because compensation is not payable if the disruption is caused by severe weather conditions (including flooding). Nonetheless, Severn Trent Water has put in place a community recovery fund of £3.5 million to support a range of projects in Gloucestershire. This payment was made on a voluntary basis and will come from company profits rather than customers' bills.

Research carried out and reported by Consumer Council for Water found that most residents recognise that the flooding and subsequent loss of water supply to over 140,000 households was unprecedented and that the majority are not seeking compensation. Instead they are seeking a clear commitment from Severn Trent that the company will invest to protect its infrastructure.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.