Pupils: Guardianship

Children, Schools and Families written question – answered on 4th July 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jeremy Wright Jeremy Wright Opposition Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, what mechanisms are in place to regulate or assess the quality of commercial guardianship services provided by UK organisations to overseas pupils at UK schools; how often such mechanisms are reviewed; and when the last such occasion was.

Photo of Jim Knight Jim Knight Minister of State, Department for Children, Schools and Families, Minister of State (Department for Children, Schools and Families) (Schools and Learners)

Most overseas pupils are educated in independent schools. Guardianship arrangements set up by independent schools, and accommodation provided by independent boarding schools, including accommodation provided via host families, must meet national minimum standards. These cover suitability to work with children and the quality of boarding provision. These standards require all adult host family members and guardians to be checked through the Criminal Records Bureau, and are monitored through Ofsted inspection. Some independent schools use commercial guardianship services and in this case must satisfy themselves about the quality of service. However pupils placed under commercial arrangements are subject to the same level of monitoring through inspection against the national minimum standards.

It is also a legal requirement for a private foster carer to notify their local authority about private fostering arrangements. New measures in the Children Act 2004 and the Children (Private Arrangements for Fostering) Regulations 2005, which came into effect in July 2005, strengthened the private fostering Notification scheme, and provided additional safeguards for privately fostered children. We have made it clear that if the Notification scheme does not work well, we will introduce a Registration scheme for private foster carers.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.