Cancer: Research

Health written question – answered on 27th June 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham PPS (Mr Mike O'Brien, Solicitor General), Law Officers' Department

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what funding from the public purse was provided for cancer treatment research in each year since 1992.

Photo of Rosie Winterton Rosie Winterton The Minister of State, Department of Health

The Department does not collect expenditure data at the level requested. The available information on total expenditure by the Department on cancer research is shown in the table. Details of individual projects supported in the national health services can be found on the national research register at

£ million
1997-98 53
1998-99 75.4
1999-2000 77.4
2000-01 83.8
2001-02 113.4
2002-03 124.1
2003-04 139.8
2004-05 150.3
2005-06 168

The Research Councils are also important funders of cancer research. The research councils are independent bodies funded by the Department of Trade and Industry via the Office of Science and Innovation.

Since 2001, the major funders of cancer research in the United Kingdom, including the Department and the Medical Research Council, have been working in partnership to streamline cancer research in the UK for the benefit of cancer patients. This partnership, the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI), has the role of maintaining strategic oversight of cancer research in the UK, identifying gaps and opportunities and co-ordinating the funding activities of the partner organisations.

The NCRI's most recent strategic analysis of the directly funded cancer research supported by Government and charities showed that, as at 1 April 2004, 19 per cent. of total funding was dedicated to supporting research on cancer treatment. The analysis forms part of the Institute's three-year progress report 2001-04 and is available at

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.