Sudan: Asylum

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 24th April 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lyn Brown Lyn Brown PPS (Mr Phil Woolas, Minister of State), Department for Communities and Local Government

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what monitoring her Department undertakes of the treatment of repatriated asylum seekers in Sudan; and what her latest assessment is of their treatment.

Photo of Ian McCartney Ian McCartney Minister of State (Trade & Investment), Department of Trade and Industry, Minister of State (Trade & Investment), Foreign & Commonwealth Office

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) does not routinely monitor individual repatriated failed asylum seekers. It would generally be inappropriate and impractical for the UK to monitor individual citizens of another country once they return there.

This should not be interpreted as disinterest. The FCO follows the human rights situation through our network of posts around the world, including in the countries to which we return failed asylum seekers. Information on the human rights situation is always taken fully into account as a factor in the formulation of Home Office policies on asylum, and hence in the decision about whether it is safe to return an individual.

Asylum and human rights claims by nationals of Sudan are, like those of claimants from all countries, considered on their individual merits in accordance with the UK's obligations under the 1951 UN Refugee Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights. Each application is considered against the background of the latest country information available from a wide range of reliable sources including international organisations, non-governmental organisations, the FCO and the media.

The country information on Sudan is available to decision-makers in regularly updated country reports which are available on the Home Office website at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.