Motor Vehicles: Registration

Transport written question – answered on 27th March 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Grayling Chris Grayling Shadow Secretary of State for Transport

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will estimate (a) the number of cars registered in a non-EU or non-EEA country being used on the roads in the United Kingdom and (b) the number of such vehicles which have been so used for more than 12 months.

Photo of Stephen Ladyman Stephen Ladyman Minister of State, Department for Transport

Foreign registered vehicles that are temporarily brought into the United Kingdom by overseas residents are usually exempt from UK registration and licensing. The exemptions state that a vehicle which is properly registered and taxed in its home country may be used by the visitor for up to six months in 12 without being subject to domestic registration and licensing requirements.

Any vehicle used in this country for more than six months in any 12 has to be registered and licensed in the normal way.

There is therefore no means to estimate the number of foreign registered vehicles which may be in circulation in the United Kingdom at any one time.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.