Smoking: Housing

Health written question – answered on 21st March 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gordon Marsden Gordon Marsden Labour, Blackpool South

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether the Smoke Free (Exemptions and Vehicles) Regulations 2007 will apply to privately owned houses (a) when they are being used for public purposes and (b) when in private use.

Photo of Caroline Flint Caroline Flint Minister of State (Department of Health) (Public Health)

Where a privately owned house is used as a private dwelling, regulation three will exempt the dwelling from the smoke-free provisions of the Health Act, except any part of it which is shared or used exclusively for work in the circumstances set out in that regulation.

However, regulation three needs to be considered in the context of Section 2 of the Health Act 2006. That section requires only public and work places to be smoke-free and it provides that where public places are not also work places, they are only required to be smoke-free when they are open to the public. Work in this context includes voluntary work.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes4 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.