Income Support: Lone Parents

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 21st March 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lynne Jones Lynne Jones Labour, Birmingham, Selly Oak

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what proportion of lone parents whose youngest child is over 11 are receiving income support; and how many and what proportion are (a) carers for a disabled child and (b) have a disability themselves.

Photo of Jim Murphy Jim Murphy Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Work)

The information is in the following table.

Lone parents with youngest child over 11
Number Percentage
Claiming income support 108,950 19.1
Caring for a disabled child 105,000 25.1
Report disability themselves 160,000 28.1

1. The number of income support lone parents is reported using DWP administrative data.

2. Lone parent population data is taken from the Labour Force Survey (LFS) 2006 Q2—it indicates there were 570,000 lone parents with a youngest child aged over 11. In total there were 1.78 million lone parents.

3. The second quarter of 2006 covers April to June, while the administrative data are taken from August 2006. These figures are not directly comparable. The figure indicating the estimated proportion of lone parents claiming income support should be considered as indicative only.

4. Information concerning the number of lone parents with a disabled child is reported using the Family and Children's Study 2004 and includes working and non-working lone parents with a disabled child. Population estimates have been produced by grossing up from a sample of 7,000 families, so there will be a margin of error around these estimates and they should be treated with caution.

5. The number and proportion of lone parents with a disability is taken from the LFS 2006 Q2. This includes those who self-report as DDA or work-limiting disabled, or both.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.