To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what the average housing benefit payment for a (a) single pensioner, (b) married pensioner, (c) single person under pensionable age, (d) married couple under pensionable age and (e) married couple with children was in (i) 1997 and (ii) at the latest available date.
The available information is in the following table.
|Average weekly amounts of housing benefit: (£ per week)|
|As at May each year:||Those aged 60 or over with no partner||Those aged 60 or over with a partner||Those aged under 60 with no partner||Those aged under 60 with a partner||Those with a partner and children|
| Notes: |
1. The figures are based on a 1 per cent. sample and subject to a degree of sampling variation.
2. Housing benefit cases exclude extended payment cases.
3. Average amounts are shown to the nearest penny.
4. Pensioner figures refer to cases where the claimant and/or partner are aged 60 or over.
5. Figures for those under 60 refer to cases where both claimant and partner are under 60.
Housing benefit and council tax benefit management information system, annual 1 per cent. sample, taken in May 2003.