Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 5th March 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Austin Mitchell Austin Mitchell Labour, Great Grimsby

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government further to her answer of 7 November 2006, Official Report, column 978W, on housing, how much extra investment per dwelling is required to give local authorities the same level of investment per dwelling as under stock transfer; and by how much this sum is greater than if the local authority brought the houses up to decent homes standard.

Photo of Yvette Cooper Yvette Cooper Minister of State (Department of Communities and Local Government) (Housing and Planning)

The rough estimates of the average levels of expenditure per property over a five year period is for local authorities owning and managing stock is £5,000 and for registered social landlords owning and managing transferred stock is £15,000. Therefore, those retaining management and ownership would require arid extra £10,000 per home to match the level of expenditure of stock transfer RSLs. The difference reflects the scope and scale of work being done under each programme as some stock—transfer RSL's are raising standards higher than the decent homes standard.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.