British Citizenship

House of Lords written question – answered on 23rd January 2007.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Avebury Lord Avebury Spokesperson in the Lords (Civil Liberties), Home Affairs, Spokesperson in the Lords (Africa), Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs

asked Her Majesty's Government:

Further to the Written Answer by Baroness Royall of Blaisdon on 8 January (WA 13-14) concerning British overseas citizens of Nepalese origin, whether the British consulate-general in Hong Kong will provide such persons with written confirmation stating that they were a Hong Kong British Dependent Territories citizen on 4 February and 30 June 1997 to enable the Nepalese authorities to determine whether or not the person in question was a citizen of Nepal on 4 February and 30 June 1997; and what is the cost of obtaining such confirmation from the British consulate-general in Hong Kong.

Photo of Lord Triesman Lord Triesman Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)

Anyone can approach the British consulate-general in Hong Kong and request a letter confirming whether or not they hold, or ever held, British nationality. This service is covered under consular fee number 1(a) and costs the equivalent of £23.50.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.