Emotional and Behavioural Disorders

Education and Skills written question – answered on 16th October 2006.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Ruane Chris Ruane PPS (Rt Hon Peter Hain, Secretary of State), Wales Office

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills

(1) how many children in each local education authority area, diagnosed with emotional and behavioural disorders were being taught in a mainstream educational facility in the last period for which figures are available;

(2) how many places in each local education authority area were available for children with emotional and behaviour disorders in England in the last period for which figures are available.

Photo of Jim Knight Jim Knight Minister of State (Schools and 14-19 Learners), Department for Education and Skills, Minister of State (Education and Skills) (Schools and 14-19 Learners)

Information on the number of places available for children with behaviour, emotional and social difficulties is not collected centrally.

Information was collected from schools on pupils who are supported at School Action Plus and those pupils with a statement of special educational needs (SEN) about their main or primary need and, if appropriate, their secondary need for the first time in 2004.

There are a number of sensitivities about categorising pupils in this way. It is important that anyone using the data should be aware of the concerns and also understand the limitations of the data's reliability and validity. There are a range of factors which may affect the data recorded, including:

Local interpretation of definitions

Classification of children with multiple needs

Differences in diagnoses between education and health professionals

Availability of special school provisions in Authorities

A table showing information on the number of pupils being taught in a maintained mainstream school who have statements of special educational needs or are supported at School Action Plus and who have behaviour, emotional and social difficulties as their primary need has been placed in the House Library.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.