Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 16th October 2006.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mike Hancock Mike Hancock Liberal Democrat, Portsmouth South

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what recent research she has (a) commissioned and (b) evaluated on the (i) interpretation and (ii) application of guidance on access needs for disabled tenants in (A) housing association and (B) local authority property; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Angela Smith Angela Smith Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Communities and Local Government, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

No specific research has been commissioned on these issues. The access requirements for all newly built dwellings are set down in part M of the Building Regulations which were introduced in 1999. We are now going further by proposing that the lifetime homes standard is included in the Code for Sustainable Homes.

For existing homes all disabled owner-occupiers and tenants have a statutory right, under the disabled facilities grant legislation, to seek financial assistance from their local authority to help with housing adaptations.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.