To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how much was spent by (a) his Department, (b) its agencies and (c) its non-departmental public bodies in respect of hotel and other similar privately-provided accommodation (i) in the UK and (ii) abroad for (A) Ministers, (B) staff and (C) other persons in each year since 2001-02.
The available information is presented in the table. In most cases, the bodies' accounting systems do not record accommodation costs separately, so the figures are for subsistence, which includes accommodation and associated allowances for meals. Therefore further analysis could be provided only at disproportionate cost.
Information relating to overseas travel by Ministers is published on an annual basis. Information for the period
All travel and subsistence is conducted in accordance with the requirements of the Ministerial Code, Travel by Ministers and the Civil Service Management Code.
|Debt Management Office||UK||2||2||1||2||3|
|Office of Government Commerce||UK||339||332||373||455||539|
|Valuation Office Agency(3)||—||1,041||1,040||1,164||1,255||1,418|
|HM Revenue and Customs(4)||UK||39,278||40,246||43,254||46,290||44,924|
|National Savings and Investments(5)||—||145||117||92||103||125|
|Office of National Statistics||UK||2,264||2,210||2,702||3,005||2,729|
|Government Actuary's Department(6)||UK||—||—||5||3||10|
|(1) Treasury figures include Ministers, staff and other persons. Treasury subsistence costs for 2001-02 cannot be disaggregated from travel costs. |
(2) OGCbuying.solutions figures are for accommodation only, excluding meals, including both UK and overseas accommodation.
(3) The amounts for The Royal Mint and The Valuation Office Agency include both UK and overseas subsistence.
(4) HM Revenue and Customs figures include travel costs of the former HM Customs and Excise which cannot be disaggregated from subsistence.
(5) The figures for National Savings and Investments are the estimated cost of both UK and Overseas travel and subsistence.
(6) GAD are unable to provide any data covering financial years 2001-02 and 2002-03.