Police Community Support Officers

Home Department written question – answered on 2nd October 2006.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Burstow Paul Burstow Shadow Chief Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will make it his policy to collect data routinely on assaults on police community services officers; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Tony McNulty Tony McNulty Minister of State, Home Office

holding answer 18 September 2006

Assaults on police community support officers (PCSOs) are not identified separately by the Home Office in the recorded crime data. They are recorded under the more general category of common assault if no injury results. If injury is involved they are recorded under the appropriate category of Violence against the Person (defined in terms of sections of the Offences against the Person Act 1861).

Within the police personnel data collection, assaults data are collected on behalf of Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary's (HMIC's). Assaults on all police officers and police staff (including PCSOs) are published in HMIC's annual report.

Assaults data from the police personnel data collection are not available by number of assaults per head of population.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.


Posted on 6 Oct 2006 9:51 pm (Report this annotation)

Where are the figures kept for assaults on members of the public by the police?