Allergy Services

Northern Ireland written question – answered on 5th June 2006.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Iris Robinson Iris Robinson DUP, Strangford

To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what allergy services are provided in Northern Ireland.

Photo of Paul Goggins Paul Goggins Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Northern Ireland Office

There are many different types of allergic conditions affecting both adults and children. These may be simple or complex, acute or chronic. The range of services available to diagnose and treat these conditions therefore is equally varied. The main elements are summarised in the table.

Allergy Service
Royal Group of Hospitals Two consultant immunologists provide two out-patient allergy clinics at the Royal—one in the Royal Belfast hospital for Sick Children and one in the Royal Victoria hospital.
Belfast City Hospital Allergy testing is used within the dermatology, ENT and respiratory departments.
Ulster Hospital Provides the first dedicated asthma and allergy service in Northern Ireland. It is consultant-led with two specialist nurses and a dietician. The dermatology department also provides an allergy service.
Regional Immunology Laboratory Service Based at the Royal, this provides a comprehensive diagnostic service.
Daisy Hill Hospital A skin patching (diagnostic) clinic is held weekly as part of the dermatology out-patient clinic.
Antrim Area Hospital Offers allergy testing in dermatology and ENT for adults. Within paediatrics, children attend as day cases for allergy testing, mainly for egg and peanut allergies.
Sperrin Lakeland HSS Trust A visiting dermatologist holds an allergy clinic once a week.
Altnagelvin Hospitals HSS Trust There is no dedicated allergy service, but patients are seen as part of the dermatology and dietician service. More complex problems are referred to the Royal.
GP/Pharmacy The majority of services for allergic conditions are delivered by GP's and pharmacy community pharmacists.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.