The number of agricultural and horticultural holdings in England recorded for the years 1986 to 2005 are shown below. Figures for the other UK countries fall under the jurisdiction of the devolved authorities.
|Number of agricultural and horticultural holdings|
(a) Figures prior to 2000 are for main holdings only, from 2000 onwards main and minor holdings are included. A holding is defined as minor if it meets all of the following conditions:
1. the total area is less than 6 hectares
2. the labour requirement is estimated to be less than 100 standard person-days
3. there is no regular full-time farmer or worker
4. the glasshouse area is less than 100 square metres
5. the occupier does not farm another holding
(b) There has been an increase in the number of holdings in later years. This reflects changes in registration requirements with many smaller holdings now appearing on the system.
June Agricultural Census and June Agricultural Survey.