Judicial Inquiries

Home Department written question – answered on 27th February 2006.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mike Penning Mike Penning Conservative, Hemel Hempstead

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will list the judicial inquiries that have taken place since May 1997; and what the cost of each has been to date.

Photo of Harriet Harman Harriet Harman Minister of State (Department of Constitutional Affairs), Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee

I have been asked to reply.

Two inquiries were established under the Tribunals of Inquiry (Evidence) Act 1921 after May 1997: the Shipman Inquiry, chaired by Dame Janet Smith with an estimated final cost of £21 million and the Bloody Sunday Inquiry, chaired by Lord Saville, as yet to be completed and estimated at £160 million.

Since May 1997 public inquiries that have had judicial chairmen include:

An Investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Dr. David Kelly, chaired by Lord Hutton and estimated at £1.7 million;

The Equitable Life Inquiry chaired by Lord Penrose and estimated at £2.5 million;

The Marchioness Inquiry chaired by Lord Justice Clarke estimated at £6.3 million which includes the cost of an Inquiry into Victim Identification and the Thames River Safety Inquiry;

The Joint Inquiry into Train Protection Systems chaired by Lord Cullen and Professor John Uff QC estimated at £1.2 million;

The Ladbroke Grove Inquiry chaired by Lord Cullen estimated at £8.6 million;

The FV-Gaul Inquiry chaired by Mr. Justice David Steel estimated at £6 million;

The MV Derbyshire Inquiry chaired by Mr. Justice Coleman estimated at £11 million;

The BSE Inquiry chaired by Lord Philips estimated at £26 million;

The Ashwoth Special Hospital Inquiry chaired by his honour Peter Fallon QC estimated at £2.5 million;

The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry chaired by Sir William Macpherson estimated at £4.2 million.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.