To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills
(1) which specialist colleges and schools which are not specialist science colleges and schools offer (a) separate science and (b) dual award science at GCSE;
(2) what percentage of pupils in (a) specialist colleges and (b) schools which are not specialist science colleges took (i) separate science and (ii) dual award science in the last period for which figures are available;
(3) what percentage of pupils studying in specialist colleges and schools, which are not specialist science colleges and schools, have gained (a) dual award science, (b) biology, (c) chemistry and (d) physics GCSEs, in each of the last five years broken down by grade.
The information requested is shown in the following tables for the years 2002 to 2005. Information is not presented for 2001 as there were no schools designated as specialist science colleges in that year.
Table 1: List of schools that are not specialist science colleges and schools where 15-year-old pupils have attempted (a) separate science and (b) dual award sciences at GCSE in 2004/05.
The information has been placed in the House of Commons Library.
Only schools whose results are published in the achievement and attainment tables are included in this list.
|2005 (15-year-olds(49))||Specialist colleges||Non-science specialist colleges|
|Dual Award Science||75.0||74.5|
(49) Age at the start of the academic year, i.e.
|Results of 15-year-olds(50)||GCSE grade|
|Dual Award Science||3.1||6.4||10.5||22.0||14.9||9.2||5.0||2.0||74.5|
|Dual Award Science||3.0||6.5||10.6||23.4||15.8||10.7||5.9||2.4||80.0|
|Dual Award Science||2.9||6.6||10.6||23.8||16.5||10.9||6.3||2.6||81.8|
|Dual Award Science||3.1||6.3||10.3||23.4||17.6||11.6||6.0||2.2||82.0|
(50) Age at the start of the academic year, i.e.
(51) Total proportion of 15-year-old pupils entered for qualification, including those who achieved a 'U' grade, were absent or the result is pending.