Parents (Learning Difficulties)

Home Department written question – answered on 28 November 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Madeleine Moon Madeleine Moon Labour, Bridgend

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what advice and support is available to a parent with learning difficulties when dealing with cases in the family court.

Photo of Bridget Prentice Bridget Prentice Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Constitutional Affairs

I have been asked to reply.

In all family cases a parent with learning difficulties has the opportunity to be represented by a legal professional and given advice throughout proceedings.

In public law care proceedings, the parent(s) will be legally represented. The nature of these proceedings mean that local social services will have been involved before the case comes before the court. The particular needs of the parent(s) will be highlighted in the application. Depending upon the circumstances of individual cases, the Official Solicitor may be involved or a lawyer with suitable experience.

In private law proceedings, such as child contact cases, parties can seek a lawyer with suitable experience or the Official Solicitor may become involved if appointed by the court.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.