Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Historical Sex Abuse Cases

Home Department written question – answered on 27th October 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Claire Curtis-Thomas Claire Curtis-Thomas Labour, Crosby

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what guidance he has issued on the appropriate measures to be taken by agencies involved in historical sex abuse investigations to minimise the potential disruption to the alleged offender's private and professional life.

Photo of Hazel Blears Hazel Blears Minister of State (Home Office) (Policing, Security and Community Safety), Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee

There is no guidance to the effect stated but I am confident that police officers involved in historic sex abuse investigations treat suspects with sensitivity and do whatever is .reasonable to minimise the disruption to the suspect's private and professional life. Those who are unhappy with the way they have been treated by the police have an avenue of complaint through the Chief Constable and the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.