Identity Cards

Home Department written question – answered on 20th July 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mark Fisher Mark Fisher Labour, Stoke-on-Trent Central

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether the identity card will be a (a) contact and (b) contactless card.

Photo of Andy Burnham Andy Burnham Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office)

It is currently planned that identity cards issued to British nationals eligible for a passport could be used by individuals for travel within Europe. In order to facilitate this, the card will need to meet standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), which require the card to be contactless in order to be considered a valid travel document.

In addition, we are also investigating whether it would be beneficial and cost effective to be compatible with other card reader national infrastructures, such as the Chip & PIN network, which requires contact card.

Thus it is possible that an identity card will function as both a contact and contactless card.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes5 people think so

No9 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.