Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Child-related Benefits (Separated Parents)

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 7th April 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Willetts David Willetts Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

(1) what assessment he has made of the implications for the Department for Work and Pensions of the ruling by the Court of Appeal that a separated father on jobseeker's allowance with a shared residence order for his children is entitled to claim child-related benefits, even though the mother is also in receipt of those benefits;

(2) if he will place in the Library a copy of the advice that he has received on the Court of Appeal's ruling in the case of Hockenjos v. Secretary of State for Social Security.

Photo of Mr Chris Pond Mr Chris Pond Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Work and Pensions

The Department has lodged a petition of appeal with the House of Lords in this case. We are therefore unable to comment further at this time.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.