Agency Budgets

Defence written question – answered on 7th April 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Angus Robertson Angus Robertson Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Defence), Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how much of its personnel budget for financial years (a) 2001–02, (b) 2000–01, (c) 1999–2000, (d) 1998–99 and (e) 1997–98 the (i) Queen Victoria School, (ii) Pay and Personnel Agency and (iii) Naval Recruiting and Training Agency spent in Scotland in (A) monetary terms and (B) as a percentage of the total personnel budget for that year; how many personnel were employed in Scotland in these years; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Mr Ivor Caplin Mr Ivor Caplin Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Ministry of Defence

Total staff costs are published in the agencies' annual report and accounts for the relevant financial years, copies of which are available in the House and from the following agency websites at

Agency personnel costs on a regional basis are not recorded centrally or by the agency. However, the Queen Victoria school is based solely in Scotland, whereas the pay and personnel agency has confirmed from locally held records that it has attracted no staff costs in Scotland since its formation in 1996.

Both civilian and Service personnel data by agency are collated annually at 1 April and presented in Table 2.6 of UK Defence Statistics, a copy of which is held in the Library of the House. Further information on personnel figures is available on the DASA website at

The number of Service personnel employed by agency and location is not collated centrally. In the case of the pay and personnel agency, locally held records confirm that no Service personnel have been employed in Scotland since the agency formation in 1996.

A table showing numbers of civilian personnel by MOD agency, for the agency as a total and those employed in Scotland specifically, for the period 1 April 1997 to 1 January 2005, is available on the Defence Analytical Services Agency website,, and is also lodged in the Library of the House.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.