Domiciliary Care Workers

Health written question – answered on 6th April 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr Parmjit Gill Mr Parmjit Gill Liberal Democrat, Leicester South

To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will introduce a system of registration for paid domiciliary care workers.

Photo of Stephen Ladyman Stephen Ladyman Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health

The Secretary of State for Health is required by the Care Standards Act 2000 to consult the General Social Care Council (GSCC) before making any order to extend the register to social care workers, including domiciliary care workers. He did so in 2004, following which the GSCC undertook an open consultation in England last autumn and recommended the following order for the next groups for registration:

Outreach and domiciliary care workers, residential child care workers and those working in residential family centres, and social care.

Other residential care workers and those working in day services.

Staff working in adoption and fostering agencies and adult placement services.

Inspection and training staff in social care.

Ministers have accepted in principle the recommendations of the GSCC. Detailed plans for the implementation of these recommendations are being prepared and an announcement will be made in the coming months.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.