Asylum Seekers

Home Department written question – answered on 23rd March 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr Harold Best Mr Harold Best Labour, Leeds North West

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will make provision for failed asylum seekers to be given temporary permission to work until they can be returned to their country of origin.

Photo of Des Browne Des Browne Minister of State (Citizenship, Immigration and Counter-Terrorism), Home Office, Minister of State (Home Office) (Citizenship, Immigration and Nationality)

We believe that those whose asylum application has been unsuccessful should leave. The fact that they may not wish to do so cannot mean that we should routinely continue to provide support or permit them to take employment. To do either of these things would remove any incentive they may have to go voluntarily. Failed asylum seekers unable to leave immediately due to circumstances entirely beyond their control may be provided with support under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. This support is intended only as a temporary arrangement until such a time as they can return.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.