Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 24th February 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Michael Ancram Michael Ancram Shadow Secretary of State for International Affairs, Shadow Foreign Secretary & Deputy Leader, International Affairs, Shadow Secretary of State, Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party, Shadow Foreign Secretary

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what educational, scholarship or hardship funds are made available by his Department to Zimbabwean students wishing to study in the United Kingdom; and what Government assistance is available to Zimbabwean students who, for political or human rights reasons, do not wish to return to Zimbabwe.

Photo of Jack Straw Jack Straw Foreign Secretary

My Department provides support to Zimbabweans wishing to study in the UK through our Chevening Scholarship Programme. This year we are supporting 15 students. A similar number were sponsored last year.

We have serious concerns about the human rights situation in Zimbabwe. Should any student believe that he has a well founded fear of persecution, he is able to apply for asylum in the UK and have it considered in the normal way under the terms of the 1951 UN Refugee Convention and British legislation.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.