Northern Ireland written question – answered on 24th February 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jeffrey M. Donaldson Jeffrey M. Donaldson Shadow Spokesperson (Defence), Shadow Spokesperson (Education)

To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what arrangements are in place for full-time reserve officers to transfer from the Police Service Northern Ireland to other police services in Great Britain.

Photo of Paul Murphy Paul Murphy The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

While legislation exists to permit the direct transfer of regular officers in the PSNI to police forces in GB, and vice versa, the unique status of the Full-time Reserve means that there is no such provision, nor has there ever been, for FTR officers seeking to transfer on a similar basis.

Such officers may of course apply to join GB forces through the recruitment procedures which apply to that force. With that in mind, officials in the NIO have been working with colleagues in the PSNI, Policing Board and Police Federation to co-ordinate the staging of a careers fair to assist FTR officers who wish to pursue police careers elsewhere.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.