Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Income-related Benefits

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 23rd February 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Frank Field Frank Field Labour, Birkenhead

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many people in receipt of income support with disability premium left the benefit, broken down by destination, in the last period for which figures are available.

Photo of Mr Chris Pond Mr Chris Pond Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Work and Pensions

The information is in the table.

Terminations of income support (IS) with disability-premium (DP) claimants between 1 December 2003 to 29 February 2004
All IS DP terminations in period 44,800
Moved to jobseekers allowance within 91 days of termination 4,000
Moved to IS and/or incapacity benefit within 91 days of termination 10,400
Moved to pension credit within 91 days of termination 6,700
Other destination 23,700


1.Figures are rounded to the nearest hundred and are subject to a degree of sampling variation.

2.The data refers to benefit units, which may be a single person or a couple.

3.Only the first destination has been taken into account. The claimant may have had more than one benefit claim to one or more benefits within the 91 day period. However we have recorded their first claim only.

4.Other destinations are all claimants who have not had a claim to jobseekers allowance, income support, incapacity benefit or pension credit within 91 days of their IS DP claim terminating. They may have returned to one of these benefits at a later date, received another benefit, started employment, died, or left income support for an unknown reason.


Information Directorate, 5 per cent. Terminations' dataset

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.