Tsunami Relief

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 1st February 2005.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Sylvia Hermon Sylvia Hermon Shadow Spokesperson (Women), Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry), Shadow Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport), Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what (a) financial and (b) other assistance is offered by the Government to the families of British citizens who have died in the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster.

Photo of Douglas Alexander Douglas Alexander Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Trade) (also Department of Trade and Industry), Minister of State (Department of Trade and Industry) (Trade) (also Foreign and Commonwealth Office)

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has put in place an assistance package which is available to the families of British citizens who have died in the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster.

The package may contain any of the following elements depending on the case:

Repatriation of bodies or mortal remains to country of choice (via the FCO's approved company).

Return luggage costs of those who have died (usually personal effects).

Death certificates.

Travel Assistance for families:

Return business class airfares to the airport nearest the site of the incident for two members of the victim's family

Local travel in-country

Accommodation in-country for five nights

Travel insurance

Longer-term assistance for families:

Assistance with psychological support services

FCO officials and UK police personnel are working with the relevant local authorities to identify and repatriate the bodies of British victims of the tsunami as quickly as possible. Over 300 police family liaison officers have been assigned to bereaved families.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.