Benefit Processing

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 30th November 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr David Stewart Mr David Stewart PPS (Rt Hon Alistair Darling, Secretary of State), Department for Transport

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

(1) what assessment he has made of the suitability of Inverness as a site for benefit processing; and if he will make a statement;

(2) when he will make a decision on the location of the six benefit processing centres in Scotland.

Photo of Jane Kennedy Jane Kennedy Minister of State (Work), Department for Work and Pensions

The administration of Jobcentre Plus is a matter for the chief executive of Jobcentre Plus, David Anderson. He will write to the hon. Member.

Letter from David Anderson to Mr. David Stewart, dated 30 November 2004

The Secretary of State has asked me to reply to your questions concerning the suitability of Inverness as a site for benefit processing and when a decision will be made on the location of the benefit processing centres in Scotland. This is something which falls within the responsibilities delegated to me as Chief Executive of Jobcentre Plus.

You will recall that the Secretary of State, Alan Johnson, announced in September that(subject to detailed planning(benefit processing will in future be carried out in 8 sites in Scotland, The locations chosen are: Inverness, Coatbridge, Kilmarnock, Glasgow, Springburn, Bathgate, Clydebank and Greenock. Further detailed planning and design work is continuing in these sites, and I expect to be in a position to confirm these choices early in the New Year.

I can confirm that, following appraisals undertaken by our Project Team, the social security office in Inverness appears suitable for conversion to a processing centre and remains part of our current plans for benefit processing in Scotland.

I hope this is helpful.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.