Further Education

Education and Skills written question – answered on 18th November 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr Parmjit Gill Mr Parmjit Gill Liberal Democrat, Leicester South

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what the level of funding per pupil in further education was in (a) Leicester South, (b) the Unitary Authority of Leicester City and (c) England in each year since 1997.

Photo of Kim Howells Kim Howells Minister of State (Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education), Department for Education and Skills

The Department allocates funds for education and training in the post-16 learning and skills sector to the Learning and Skills Council (LSC). The LSC decides on allocations at individual college and local LSC level. Information about these allocations is not collected by the Department. This is a matter for the LSC. Mark Haysom the Learning and Skills Council's Chief Executive will write to the hon. Member with details of further education spend per pupil in (a) Leicester South, (b) the Unitary Authority of Leicester City. A copy of his letter will be placed in the House Library.

The following table shows funding per full-time equivalent student in further education in England from 1997–98 to 2004–05. These are cash figures that show total funding for the further education (FE) sector. The figures include monies provided for participation and certain funding for earmarked purposes, including capital, the Standards Fund and other special grants to colleges. These figures are consistent with those published in the 'Departmental Annual Report 2004'.

Funding per full-time equivalent student in further education 1997–98 to 2004–05
Total funding (£)
1997–98(85) 3,070
1998–99(85) 3,090
1999–2000(85) 3,380
2000–01(85) 3,640
2001–02(85) 4,050
2002–03(86) 4,120
2003–04(87) 4,240
2004–05(87) 4,460

(85) Actual.

(86) Provisional.

(87) Planned.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.