Health written question – answered on 16th July 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of James Paice James Paice Conservative, South East Cambridgeshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what studies his Department has (a) commissioned and (b) received regarding the links between cannabis and schizophrenia; and if he will place a copy of these studies in the Library.

Photo of Miss Melanie Johnson Miss Melanie Johnson Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health

The Department commissioned and received the following research projects as part of the drug misuse policy research initiative, which funded £2.4 million research between 2000 and 2003.

Long term heavy cannabis use: patterns and problems. Mr. Niall Coggans, Strathclyde Institute for Biomedical Sciences.

A national epidemiological study of dually diagnosed substance misuse and psychiatric disorders between 1993–98, using the General Practice Research Database. Dr. Martin Frischer, Keele University.

Co-morbidity in the National Psychiatric Morbidity Surveys. Dr. Michael Farrell, Dr. Colin Taylor, Institute of Psychiatry.

Co-morbidity of substance misuse and mental health problems: a study of the prevalence and patterns of co-morbidity and the need for services among treatment populations. Mr. Tim Weaver, Imperial College School of Medicine.

Dual Diagnosis in a Primary Care Group (PCG), (100,000 population locality): a step-by-step epidemiological needs assessment and design of a training and service response model. Dr. Geraldine Strathdee, Oxleas National Health Service Trust. In addition, the Department has recently commissioned, jointly with the Medical Research Council, a multi-site, randomised controlled trial: "Evaluating a psychological intervention for clients with schizophrenia and co-morbid substance abuse". Copies will be placed in the Library.

The Department also monitors research in this area and has a range of expert advisers to inform policy.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.