Animal Experiments

Home Department written question – answered on 29th June 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham Labour, Coventry South

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what measures are in place to ensure that animal experiments taking place at universities are legal and ethical.

Photo of Caroline Flint Caroline Flint Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office)

holding answer 22 June 2004

The use of animals in scientific procedures in the UK, whether at universities or elsewhere, is strictly regulated by the Home Office in accordance with the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.

Licences are only granted for animal experiments undertaken for specified permissible purposes. There has to be no alternative to using animals, and the likely benefits of the work have to outweigh the adverse effects on the animals concerned. The number of animals used and any suffering that may be caused have to be minimised.

Any proposal to conduct a programme of animal experiments has first to be considered by the local ethical review process at the establishment concerned. A licence application is only submitted to the Home Office once those involved in that local process are satisfied that it can be justified.

Applications received by the Home Office are rigorously assessed by the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Inspectorate, to ensure the criteria in the 1986 Act are met. Inspectors are either medical or veterinary graduates, and advise the Secretary of State on whether and on what terms licence authorities should be granted. Some applications are also referred for advice to the Animal Procedures Committee.

Establishments where licensed animal experiments are conducted are visited regularly by the inspectorate, to monitor progress and ensure compliance with licence authorities. The majority of visits of inspections are without notice. Appropriate action is taken should irregularities or breaches of licence conditions come to light.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.