To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many pensioners in Scotland receive council tax benefit.
As at May 2002, there were 284,000 pensioner households receiving council tax benefit in Scotland, including 340,000 beneficiaries aged 60 or over.
1. Pensioner households are defined as benefit units (which may be a single person or a couple) where the claimant and/or partner are aged 60 or over.
2. Beneficiaries are defined as claimants and partners who are aged 60 or over.
3. The figures have been rounded to the nearest thousand.
4. Figures for any non-responding authorities have been estimated.
5. Council tax benefit totals exclude any second adult rebate cases.
Housing benefit and council tax benefit annual summary statistics, May 2002.