Harmful Chemicals

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 4th May 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mike Hancock Mike Hancock Liberal Democrat, Portsmouth South

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what research she has (a) commissioned and (b) evaluated on the effect on (i) wildlife and (ii) the environment of exposure to harmful chemicals.

Photo of Alun Michael Alun Michael Minister of State (Rural Affairs), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The Department has commissioned and evaluated significant research programmes on the effect of harmful chemicals on wildlife and the environment. Some of them have focused on specific chemicals such as pesticides; groups of chemicals with similar effects such as endocrine disrupters; or targeted environmental media such as air, water, soil etc. The Department also funds research into the possible impacts on the environment of using veterinary medicines on animals and fish. The results of Defra funded research are published in the peer-reviewed scientific press and most can be found on our website www.defra.gov.uk.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.