Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 29th April 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Taylor David Taylor Labour/Co-operative, North West Leicestershire

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what systems are in place to regulate the operational activities of commercial salmon farmers in the UK.

Photo of Ben Bradshaw Ben Bradshaw Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Local Environment, Marine and Animal Welfare)

All fish farms are subject to EU and national legislative controls to prevent the introduction and spread of serious fish disease. Under these arrangements all farms must be registered or licensed as required by the appropriate Fisheries Department and keep a record of the movement of fish for disease control purposes. Controls also apply to the import and export of farmed fish.

All salmon farms require a Crown Estate lease and development consent, and are subject to conservation and environmental measures. The use of medicines on fish farms and welfare of farmed fish are also subject to control.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.