Highways Agency

Transport written question – answered on 12th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Charles Hendry Charles Hendry Shadow Minister (Children, Young People and Families), Deputy Chair, Conservative Party

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport in what way the Highways Agency takes account of the views of neighbouring local authorities when major changes to trunk roads are under consideration.

Photo of Mr David Jamieson Mr David Jamieson Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Transport

Major changes to trunk roads normally arise from the Government's programme of multi-modal or road based studies and this process involves full local and region wide consultation with statutory bodies and local stakeholders. This would include both the local highway and planning authorities. Once the Highways Agency is asked to develop schemes in more detail local public consultation is carried out into options.

Neighbouring authorities would normally be invited to comment on proposals if the road changes could significantly affect traffic in their area. Should orders under the Highways Act be required there would be further opportunity for comment.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.