R and D

Health written question – answered on 12th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cousins Jim Cousins Labour, Newcastle upon Tyne Central

To ask the Secretary of State for Health to whom his Department distributes expenditure on research and development; how many staff are employed as a result; and how many research establishments of (a) the Department and (b) its agencies there are in each region of England.

Photo of Miss Melanie Johnson Miss Melanie Johnson Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health

Research and development expenditure is distributed to a range of bodies and principally through allocations to organisations across the national health service in England. Figures for staff directly employed as a result of such funding are not available. Research is carried out by a number of the Department's arm's length bodies, principally the Health Protection Agency, the National Radiological Protection Board and the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.