Crime and Disorder Partnerships

Home Department written question – answered on 12th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Ruane Chris Ruane Labour, Vale of Clwyd

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will list the (a) police authorities and (b) local authorities that have not incorporated section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998; and what measures are open to members of the public if they feel that their local police authority or local authority is failing to implement section 17.

Photo of Hazel Blears Hazel Blears Minister of State (Home Office) (Policing, Security and Community Safety)

Information is not available centrally on local/police authorities that have failed to incorporate section 17 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. However, the Audit Commission looks at how well local councils deliver their services under the Comprehensive Performance Assessment (CPA). Inspections of English district councils, include community safety with a specific focus on section 17 compliance. From 2005 Safer and Stronger Communities with a similar focus on section 17 compliance will form part of the CPA for all top tier councils where it will be covered under the councils' Corporate Assessment.

Members of the public could lobby their elected council member (or MP) or appropriate chair of the Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership or the chair of the Police Authority if they believe their local authority or local police authority was failing to implement section 17.

They could also approach the Local Government Ombudsman if they have a specific complaint of maladministration.

They could ultimately undertake a judicial review action with a view to enforcing local/police authority compliance with section 17.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.