Animal By-Products Regulation

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 12th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of James Gray James Gray Conservative, North Wiltshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

(1) what advice she has issued to intermediate reception centres on the definition of covered space to receive animal by-products in the Animal By-Products Regulations;

(2) what guidance she received from the European Commission about the definition of covered space.

Photo of Ben Bradshaw Ben Bradshaw Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (Local Environment, Marine and Animal Welfare)

We have received no guidance from the European Commission regarding the definition of "covered space". However, the Animal By-Products Regulation (EC) No. 1774/2002 requires Intermediate Plants to have a "covered space " to receive animal by-products. It also requires the plant to be constructed in such a way that it is easy to clean and disinfect, and that floors must be laid down in such a way as to facilitate the draining of liquids. The plant must also have appropriate arrangements for protection against pests, such as insects, rodents and birds. In our view, the combination of these requirements make it necessary for the plant to have a roof, walls and a floor before we can approve it. The application form for approval of an Intermediate Plant provides guidance on the requirements of the Regulation, and states that

"the covered space must be securely enclosed, i.e. in a permanent, weather-proof, vermin-proof structure".

However, any operation which could demonstrate that it complied with the requirements of the EU Regulation in some other way could also be approved.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.