Student Finance

Education and Skills written question – answered on 11th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Austin Mitchell Austin Mitchell Labour, Great Grimsby

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills

(1) what arrangements he intends to put in place to recover fees and loans paid for study at British universities to students from other EU countries; and what plans he has to refuse admission to other EU students unless such recovery arrangements are accepted by the countries from which they come;

(2) what discussions he intends to have with other EU Governments on putting in place the machinery for recovery from their country of fees and loans made to students at British universities through (a) the tax system of their country of origin and (b) the tax system of other countries in which they work.

Photo of Alan Johnson Alan Johnson Minister of State (Education and Skills) (Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education)

The Student Loans Company (SLC) are responsible for ensuring repayments are made when they fall due, and have well established procedures for recovering loans from graduates living and working outside the UK. All students taking out a loan are required to sign a declaration agreeing to repay, even if they move abroad. The SLC have a range of sanctions that can be imposed on defaulters. Officials and SLC are exploring ways to ensure the most robust and effective loan recovery mechanisms are in place. There are no plans which would allow HEIs to refuse admission to EU students.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.