Public Servants (Wrongdoing)

Home Department written question – answered on 11th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr Nigel Jones Mr Nigel Jones Liberal Democrat, Cheltenham

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what processes are available to public servants to raise concerns about serious wrongdoings by other public servants if they have reason to believe that their disclosure is in the public interest.

Photo of Fiona Mactaggart Fiona Mactaggart Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Home Office)

The Government established an arrangement under which Departments, including the Home Office and its agencies, nominate an official or officials outside line management to whom civil servants are able to report concerns in confidence, under the Civil Service Code.

The Civil Service Code in its current form was introduced with effect from 1 January 1996, and revised and re-issued in May 1999. It offers an independent line of appeal to the Civil Service Commissioners, where an individual feels that his/her concern has not received a reasonable response.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.