Vehicle Excise Duty

Transport written question – answered on 11th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jacqui Lait Jacqui Lait Conservative, Beckenham

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what measures are in place to ensure that the owners of untaxed illegal foreign cars are traced and brought into the United Kingdom car tax regime; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Mr David Jamieson Mr David Jamieson Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Transport

A vehicle which is registered and taxed in its home country may be used by a visitor to Great Britain for up to six months in 12 without being subject to domestic requirements. To qualify for this exemption the visitor must have their normal residence outside GB.

If at any time a vehicle being used in Great Britain on foreign plates is stopped by the police, it is the responsibility of the keeper to demonstrate that they are eligible to use the vehicle without licensing and registering it here. If they are not eligible, enforcement action will be taken.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.