Fungal Diseases

House of Lords written question – answered on 4th February 2004.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Turnberg Lord Turnberg Labour

asked Her Majesty's Government:

How many laboratories specialise in the investigation and treatment of life-threatening fungal diseases; and whether they consider this number adequate to meet the need.

Photo of Lord Warner Lord Warner Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department of Health, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health)

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has a national mycology reference centre, at Bristol, and two HPA regional laboratories (at Manchester and Cardiff) which have a special interest and capabilities in mycology.

Most National Health Service pathology services have a microbiology laboratory which is able to test for fungal infections to meet local clinical demand.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.